|SOLIDARITY AND THE UNIVERSITY
|5-TH ANNUAL PHILOSOPHY AND THEORY OF HIGHER EDUCATION SOCIETY CONFERENCE 13-15TH JUNE 2023, UNIVERSITY OF GDAŃSK, POLAND
The link between solidarity and university seems to be far from unproblematic, especially today, when the academic world is understood in terms of competition, knowledge production, rankings, and entrepreneurship. The question is how we could (re)initiate, maintain and cultivate the community of
a university, togetherness and solidarity. We kindly invite you to address these issues together here in Gdańsk, where the Solidarity movement began and led to social changes on a global scale.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS & PARTICIPATION
We would like to invite the conference participants, to both – submit ideas for different forms of contributions as well as to take part in various activities aiming at grasping the ways in which the commonality of university is built in various places. Therefore, we plan to arrange and facilitate discussions with the representatives of various scientific disciplines in diverse sites of the University of Gdańsk thanks to our partner – The University of Gdansk Center for the Development of Teaching and Tutoring. The conference will start with the guided tour to the exhibition of the Solidarity movement in European Solidarity Centre.
In this way we hope to initiate the process of thinking around the central question for our conference, that of (academic) solidarity that is the consequence of enacting and sustaining the commonality in the diversity of our academic lives. We are aiming to organise the event that will consist of multiple occasions for genuine conferring.
Participants are kindly invited to submit:
- 500 words abstracts (for working papers, research reports and analyses)
- fragments of (auto)ethnographic journals, relating to the academics’ experiences of academic practices that make universitas happen.
Please upload your proposal to: https://solidarityanduniversity.ug.edu.pl
Participants are also encouraged to submit proposals for symposia.
- A symposium comprises three or four short papers focused on a single theme. The submissions should consist of introduction to the symposium outlining the key issues to be addressed and abstracts of all three or four contributions. The whole submission must not exceed 1,000 words in total. Should a symposium be accepted, its participants will receive the ninety-minute time slot of a concurrent paper session.
The symposia proposals should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
THE EMERGING RESEARCHERS – DOCTORAL AND MASTER STUDENTS
We would like to invite all emerging researchers (people during doctoral or master studies) to participate in this unique conference and we are thrilled to offer:
- pre-conference workshops, focused on various approaches to methodology of HE research and led by highly experienced researchers on Monday (12-th June 2023; 16.00 – 20.00 CET).
- parallel moderated sessions – Emerging Researchers Conference on Tuesday (13-th June 2023; 9.00 – 12.00 CET)
- reduced conference fee (90 Euro) – the price includes all conference activities apart from the conference dinner on Wednesday (14-th June 2023) – which can be booked at the price of 30 euro.
Our keynote lecture, titled: Solidarity: “The Message and the Event of Togetherness” will be delivered by Tomasz Szkudlarek, professor of philosophy of education and cultural studies at the University of Gdańsk. He is the author of numerous articles and books, including the last book: On the Politics of Educational Theory. Rhetoric, theoretical ambiguity, and the construction of society (Routledge 2017). His most recent research concerns exploring the educational potential of Ernesto Laclau’s political ontology and the ways in which solidarity is established in populist movements.
- 10 NOVEMBER 2022: OFFICIAL CONFERENCE WEBSITE LAUNCH
- 11 NOVEMBER 2022: CALL FOR ABSTRACTS & PARTICIPATION
- 15 MARCH 2023: DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
- 01 APRIL 2023: CONFERENCE ACCEPTANCE LETTERS ARE SENT OUT
- 01 JUNE 2023: CONFERENCE PROGRAM IS PUBLISHED
- 13 – 15 June 2023 CONFERENCE TAKES PLACE
THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE CONFERENCE AND SUBMISSION FORM HERE: